[pct-l] warning you may be offended.

Ok this willbe my last post regarding the whole 'God
thread'.

First- If anyone was offended by any of the messages
that were posted, perhaps you should go hike so you
can lighten up a bit.  None of the posts I saw were
'preaching' or said 'this is how you should think/feel
about spirituality'.  They were about how the writer
felt about spirituality.

Second- We as a society (thats the thing we try to get
away from on the trail) tend to avoid these topics to
our detriment.  Its a bit like sex ed or AIDS....you
can ignore it but that doesn't help anyones
understanding of the problem.  The more we know about
"others" ways of thinking/believing, the better able
we are to deal with them in a respectful manner.
Knowledge can only help you.

Third- I've seen way more responses to this thread
than to posts I've made asking questions about VERY
PCT related topics.  Hmmmm.

Fourth- I guess that for some people, simply
mentioning God or spirituality is offensive.......I
honestly have no idea what to say to those folks.
Maybe philosophical stuff scares you?  Maybe your own
faith is weak or in a state of flux?  I just don't
know.

Lastly-  There are some threads on this list that I am
not interested in. For instance I'm not going to be
going to ALDHA west's gathering.  I delete most of
those messages with out reading them.  So I wonder why
a person prone towards being offended by discussions
of spirituality would bother opening those messages at
all.

Now I do apologize if this post seems a bit harsh.  I
am just sick of people (not PCTL specific) being
offended by silly social stuff but you don't hear
people saying they are offended that the antarctic ice
sheet is melting and breaking off huge chunks, or that
our president is a raving lunatic, or that we COULD
feed everyone on the planet but don't, or that we pay
athletes millions and teachers are in debt, or that we
consume resources like bacteria in a petri dish, or
the fact that there is no unpolluted ocean water left,
or that people are so apathetic, or.......

Be offended about something worthwhile. Someone
thinking differently than you about God is such a
silly thing to be offended by.

I look forward to seeing all you athiests and
believers on the trail.

Peace------------Junaid

http://mail.yahoo.com