[pct-l] 'Necessity' of GPS

The trail conditions were probably fantastic. Unfortunately it was buried
under 10ft of snow hence the usefullness of GPS :-) At least it meant the
lakes and rivers were frozen enough to walk over and eased the process of
bushwhacking.

We were able to intersect what was either a x-country ski track or a
snowmobile track that eventually took the same route off the ridge as the
PCT (which the map had shown it would have to as there was only one Easterly
way off the ridge!) One other party dropped off the wrong side of the ridge,
and another group simply went up and down all the cliffs as they were strong
enough hikers that this didn't slow them down too much.

I guess everyone's view of the use of GPS varies because the conditions
change so much. I suspect those who entered the sierras on a more sensible
date in late June encountered minimal snow in this section. Snow cover was
widespread for us until Sierra City, although the GPS saw little use from
Donner Pass onwards.

Of course, this is all what made it such fun. Personally, I wouldn't swap an
'05 hike experience for anything.

Dave

>From: Bighummel@aol.com
>To: ukstoveman@hotmail.com, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] 'Necessity' of GPS
>Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:09:15 EDT
>
>This stretch was simple in 1977 with just the guide book descriptions and
>maps.  Has the trail conditions in this area really declined that much?  I
>haven't been on this stretch since then so cannot compare, of course.
>
>Greg
>
>In a message dated 9/19/2005 6:41:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>ukstoveman@hotmail.com writes:
>The worst area was Carsons pass to Echo Summit, and I don't know anybody
>without GPS (including one very experienced local hiker) who made it
>through
>here without getting hopelessly lost and just having to head North until
>they hit the highway. Even with GPS it was a struggle.

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here.
http://messenger.msn.co.uk