[pct-l] ultralight backpacking

Just to keep things in perspective --

About 1991 I was hiking in the Trinity Alps for a 3 day trip (in,
layover,out) and halfway in, the fancy attachment of my homemade belt on
my A16 pack failed -- lost a nut. Fortunately, I travelled rather heavy
-- I carried spare parts for just such an event.

Another time I was hiking down Woods Creek after a week on the JMT when
I met a small group heading up. They had lost the burner plate to their
Svea 123. My "heavyweight" packing came to their rescue -- I was
carrying a spare burner plate for just such an eventually. Soved their
problem.

So there are always trade-offs between reducing weight and preparedness.

Tortoise