[pct-l] new digital camera out.. could be the one

Hey, I remember someone wanting a suggestion on digital cameras a while
back. If you're still not comitted and still cameraless, you might want to
know about a new digital camera just released by Nikon-- the specs are very
hiker friendly:
   6 million MP
   2 AA batteries
   10 X optical zoom!! (38-380mm 35 mm equivalent)
   macro mode (focuses to 4 cm)
   7.8 oz (not much more with lithium AAs)
   ~ 490 shots on lithium AAs
   and a bunch of other new  metering and auto-focus twists to make this the
"must have camera of the year". It is not waterproof however.

In the previous discussion, not much attention was paid to zoom ratio. Most
point and shoots with similar specs have 3X optical zoom. Using digital zoom
simply magnifies pixels and hence increases digital noise (myself I never
will use it). To me this is really a significant selling point. It might be
the difference between a tiny dot in a tree and curious bear cub peering
down. Or the difference between the ass end of a deer and a nice over the
shoulder portrait. You get the idea. And it's got that Nikon glass, too.
Nikon is one of the few large corporations that I like-- if that statement
isn't too terribly oxymoronish. No I don't work for Nikon.
 Street price= 4 bones (a little pricey but for a good product).