[pct-l] GPS Altimeters

Before one embraces GPS, they should learn basic map skills expertly,
period. It's just basic wilderness common sense. I'm old school, like Greg,
and have found very little use for GPS in the wilderness, except for my
forestry work. There are some places on thruhikes where GPS could be
lifesaving though; along the southern CDT (and other trails) there are minor
water sources which may only be found using GPS due to the homogenous nature
of the landscape. Tailor your gear and your skills to the adventure you
seek, in order to succeed, which could mean your survival. Be leery of
basing your adventure on anything that requires batteries or satellites to
succeed, without a map and compass backup. Anytime someone spouts GPS!, I
mumble it's hocus-pocus.  Hike your own hike with wisdom and experience.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I once taught a map and compass course to some Boy Scouts.  I started off by
showing them that in an area with good landmarks and visibility, you don't
really need the compass, just very good map reading skills to orient the map
and
recognize features that will zero you in to approximately where you are.
This is predicated on you following where you are frequently so that you
never
end up in a situation where you have absolutely no clue about where on a map
you
are and therefore the landforms and landmarks make no sense.

IMHO, a GPS is unnecessary on a thru-hike.

YMMV,

Greg