[pct-l] WAS: Bearvault - NOW: Bear Behavior

Shoot the bears?
I wonder if they taste like chicken.

<coyle875@msn.com>; <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
> Date: 9/16/2005 10:32:47 AM
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] WAS: Bearvault - NOW: Bear Behavior
>
> They shoot the bears instead of relocating them.  Relocation only
relocates the problem, and doesn't solve it, and other agency jurisdictions
are very appreciative of receiving some other jurisdiction's problem.
People-food habituated bears relocated far, far from humans will travel
whatever distance necessary to get back to the easy pickins that humans
provide.   There is no alternative but to destroy the "bad" bear.

> I learned this from the fish and game ranger who had to shoot a bear in
my campsite at the Whitney Portal just before I arrived to set up camp.
This particular bear had become so brazen with people that it charged at a
male camper.

> One thing I've learned with my horses is that once they learn a bad
behavior, it's impossible to get them to unlearn it.  Please use bear
cannisters -- don't sleep with your food.  It may be a PITA for you, but
it's worse for the bears.