[BULK] - [pct-l] BearVault

Technically speaking....

A "loop" of metal is probably the weakest form possible.

Metals are strongest in tension, weakest in compression.
A loop shape would bend just as easily as the plastic the BearVaults are
made of.

It would take more tonnage of steel to support a gravity load in the
form a structural column than if the same load was suspended from steel
cables.

To add strength to a loop of metal would require a form with additional
planes in order to resist forces from more than one direction. That's
why structural steel is formed in wide flange, T's, channels, tubes and
pipes. You'll never see a bar shape used to support a vertical gravity
load. Bar shapes are used as connectors, where tension is the force
being dealt with...

Structural Steel Lesson for the day adjourned.

No consulting fee for you.

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m