From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
Hiker97@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 10:31 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Cc: s7495f@lvmpd.com; Rattlesnake5648@Yahoo.com; carolwbruno@Yahoo.com
Subject: [pct-l] BearVault Solo

I wondering if anyone had a cool way to unlock the Solo  canister.  I do
not
have a big problem with holding it tight and pressing  hard with my
fingers to
unlock it.  But I was thinking maybe someone had a  clever way to do
this
more easily.  Thanks.

I have recommended in Super Secrets for years to put reflective tape
(Walmart Auto Section) on your bear canister.  Do not forget to put
clear  packing
tape over this reflective tape for more tape protection if you  want.
This will
probably increase the durability of your reflective tape by  tenfold.

Also, when you place your bear canister in your campsite in the evening,
put
it where you can see it.  If a bear attacks, then you can watch the
show.
This is another good reason to use reflective tape.  Do not  forget to
put
reflective tape on other gear items too, such as your  backpack.  If you
are
walking in the evening near a road or hitchhiking  this will give you an
extra
measure of protection.  Remember, PCT hikers  have been killed road
walking.

It is amazing how quickly you can loose gear in the dark.  The big bad
woods
is really dark at night.  If you hike at night like I do sometimes,
reflective gear is really nice.  A little piece of reflective tape on
your  spoon,
pen, journal, monocular, containers, hiking poles, and glasses are
examples of
good uses to help you find things quickly.  Just a little  light from
your
headlamp really reflects off this tape.  Neat.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
PCT Section Hiker and Trail Pirate