[pct-l] Southern WA

Just finished hiking with Radar from Panther Creek to Snoqualmie Pass in
southern WA. Great weather and general conditions. The huckleberries were a
bit sparse in the northern end of Indian Heaven Wilderness, but they were
amazingly abundant and at the peak of the season between Government Meadow
and Mirror Lake. We had an 80 mile stretch from Snow Lake to Mirror Lake
where we saw no other hikers at all, including day-hikers, and only saw two
northbound section hikers, Manzanita and Old Pack at White Pass. Most of the
northbounders who didn't flip seem to be 1-3 weeks behind. I hope they have
some good stretches of weather in the first half of October.

In Goat Rocks, the glaciers and snowfields seem to be melted down farther
than they have been in perhaps 50 to 100 years. No snow at all on the upper
end of the packwood glacier where the trail crosses, and the snowfield
before the Old Snowy Mtn turn-off is unrecognizable in comparison to the
other times I've been there or any pictures I've seen from the same time of
year in the past.  I know I'm going out on a limb by saying 50-100 years,
but in comparison to 1998, which was previously the lowest summer snowpack
on record, this year makes that one look very high. I will be interested to
compare my '98 photos with what I saw last week.

Looks like I'll be hiking Echo Lake to Tuolumne prior to the Gathering.
Looking forward to seeing that section in a different time of year,
direction, and with no bugs.

wc