[pct-l] lost hiker update

dsaufley@sprynet.com wrote:

> Thank you, Pea.  He was last seen further up the trail, just below Saddle Junction, to the east of the PCT, near Tahquitz Valley.  The last person known to see him gave her report to the SAR team.

i came thru that area one day after connie/alex came thru, which was may
4- the day before the snowfall... obviously i didn't see seabreeze, but
of course i wasn't looking for him either... there were some steep snow
chutes *above* little tahquitz valley, but nobody had fallen there when
i came thru... after those chutes, there really wasn't anything very
dangerous the rest of the way down to saddle jtn. my personal opinion is
that if something happened to him, it would have most likely been
somewhere *north* of saddle jtn.

> I'm so sorry I didn't get to meet him.  He sound like my kinda person.

he was a really friendly guy, i think with a hearing impairment of some
kind because he talked *really* loud and never seemed to hear you coming
up behind him. he definitely had a sailor's mouth, but in a very
hilarious and endearing way. :)

one thing i might mention, which again may or may not be a useful bit of
information- he had a very distinctive gait, almost like a "frankenstein
walk," for lack of a better way of describing it... he sort of stomped
his way down the trail, slow but consistent. i remember always thinking
that his gait looked labored even though he was obviously a seasoned
hiker and that was just his style of walking... i only mention it
because as i imagine him hiking in that forceful way on the snow,
especially without trekking poles or ice axe, it seems incompatible with
the sort of careful, well-placed footsteps you need to get across some
of those tricky parts without slipping.

well anyway, if there's going to be any sort of organized volunteer
effort to go look for him, just let me know where/when. i realize
there's been a SAR team out there, and that some folks are going out to
look on their own, but i'd rather not just head up there and start
looking without knowing exactly which areas have already been covered, etc.

girlscout