[pct-l] Experience vs. Pack Weight

Good morning, Dallas,

 I think you are absolutely correct . sort of.  I admit to an error in
qualification.  I should have qualified my comment by saying that I know of
no serious long-distance hikers who have increased their pack load with
experience.  "Camping" and "distance hiking" are on opposite ends of a
continuum.  I have said it for many years:  When we carry more gear, camping
improves but hiking suffers.  When you carry less gear, hiking improves
while camping suffers.

Distance hikers aiming to complete the PCT in one season are like a
one-trick pony.  To be successful, the primary focus has to be booking 20-25
miles per day, which leaves much less time for "camping" or other such
specialized activities.

Many people hike a great deal in the pursuit of other primary interests, and
choose to carry heavier, more specialized gear.  Birders need reference
books, binoculars, and maybe a spotting scope.  Anglers and hunters have
their own array of accoutrements.  Rock hounds carry a hammer, and they
trudge around with a bunch of rocks in their packs, which I find to be an
unnatural act.  Your example of photography equipment is a good one.
Serious photographers can easily justify many pounds of gear that is
necessary for the very best photos but is not necessary for pure hiking.
Many of us have recently watched Weathercarrot's DVD, and have been thrilled
by the stunning scenery.  I don't know many of the hikers who submitted
those photographs, but I'll speculate most of the images were captured with
bare-minimum equipment, cameras that are barely good enough.

I agree with the Admiral:  Perfect is the enemy of good enough.  I can't
think of any piece of gear that I carry on a long hike that is really the
very best available for its intended purpose.  That's because I look for
items that are "good enough", and are also light.  A useful example is the
recent PCT-L thread debating the "right" ice axe.  Several posts were
exactly correct saying that an ice axe of traditional length and features
was the best . perfect for alpine mountaineering.  My point was I don't need
the best ice axe for alpine mountaineering; I need something that is light
and just barely good enough to achieve a few specific and infrequent
functions.

The best tent for camping in the mountains is probably the high quality,
full-featured, 3-4 season free-standing type.  I don't use that.  I use an
ultralight tarp because the tarp is good enough.  The best pack for load
distribution and ventilation may be a quality 5-pounder with sophisticated
suspension.  I don't use that one.  I use a little 15 once model because it
is good enough, particularly with the trifling loads it is expected to
carry.  My alcohol stove is not what any cook would want to use, but it is
good enough to heat water and it weighs less than three quarters of an once.
I feel best when I lift weights regularly and have significant upper-body
muscle mass, but I quit that several months before a long hike which reduces
my body weight about 5 pounds.  What's left is good enough.

And yes, if we meet on the trail and if the invitation still stands, I would
be happy to share your coffee, beer, pizza, or anything else you can conjure
from your abundance.

Enjoy...

Steel-Eye

"Perfect is the enemy of good enough."
- Soviet Union Fleet Admiral Sergei Georgievich Gorshkov