[pct-l] Experience vs. Pack Weight

Jim "Dallas" McCrain wrote:

>First, let me say that I am not a "thru-hiker" by the definitions given on
>this forum.  I have never hiked the entire PCT, AT, or CDT.  I HAVE hiked
>the John Muir Trail five times, spent three weeks in Greenland exploring a
>portion of the world no other humans had ever visited, climbed Denali three
>times, spent 6 months in New Zealand, and a host of many other trips and
>expeditions.  I have probably logued just as many miles as your "average"
>thru-hiker, just in shorter segments.

There have been a couple of references this week to the "thruhiker vs
non-thruhiker" thing.  And I think it might be a good thing for someone to
stand up and tell it like it is - that thruhikers ain't the top of the food
chain.  Many of them think they are - but that's only because of their
limited perspective. Most of those with a sense of humor and more than two
brain cells to rub together sooner or later come to realize that the real
rewards lie in the pictures in our minds (and our photo albums).  And you
don't have to be a thruhiker to get those.  In fact, most thruhikers never
do get the kind and variety of mind-pictures that people like you get.

Even Triple Crown isn't the top of the food chain.  After all - a Triple
Crown plaque and $2.95 "might" get you a cup of coffee - at 7-11.  And yeah
- I DO know about that.  And laugh every time I think about it.

The top of the food chain is people like you who've seen more of the world
than a single trail - or even three long trails.  I can give you ALL the
reasons if you want them, but the basic message here is - don't apologize.
You've got more experience - and probably more miles under your boots in
more different places under more different conditions than most thruhikers.
If I 'm lucky, I'll meet you in some of those places someday.  <G>

Walk softly - and proudly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/