From: Slyatpct@aol.com
Sent: Mar 23, 2005 9:37 AM
To: Bighummel@aol.com, pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Sierra Snow Entry Prediction

In a message dated 3/23/2005 12:05:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bighummel@aol.com writes:

> My new prediction?  Watch the snow survey sites and pray for a warm early
> Spring.  Or, simply consider a SoBo hike.

If I planned to hike the PCT northbound this year there's no way I'd wait
another month and half to start SoBo.

Instead, I'd continue with my plans and at least try and make it as far as
Kennedy Meadows and perhaps as far as Lone Pine via Trail or Cottonwood Pass.
At that time if I felt it was beyond my abilities, I'd flip.  Finishing the
trail in the High Sierra would be awesome.  Better than either border, IMO.

Ideally, I'd have a contingency plan already worked out to get to Manning
Park or even Harts Pass to tag the border before heading south.

As it is now, is this year any worse than '95, '98 or some of the earlier
years?

Sly