[pct-l] snake bites...?

Okay Bulltaco,  I have been in the mountains and wilds quite a bit  over my
lifetime and I do love to be there as often as I can.  It comes  down to what
you fear and the reasons for fearing those things.  I don't  fear snakes of any
kind and have found that they are just like you and me.   If an intruder
enters my house I try first to scare him out of the house before  I strike.
Striking at an intruder is my last resort UNLESS aggressively  attacked.  Then I
will strike without hesitation in order to protect  myself, my family and my
home.  Snakes are no different.  If you don't  step on one, attack one,
accidentally grab one, they are very unlikely to want  to have anything to do with an
animal that outweighs it 400 to 1.

In the warm / hot deserts of Southern California rattlers will come out
during the colder parts of the day in order to soak up the heat radiating from
rocks and ground and roads.  At these times of the day you have to be  careful
what you step on (most PCT hikers don't climb much so they are generally
putting their hands on a rock that they can't see what is on top).

A habbit of mine, generated in youth from looking for all of those things
that you can find on the ground if you just keep looking down, is to look down
directly in front of where I am walking.  I am VERY careful what I step on
and where I step.  If you are hiking the PCT then you should too, for
statistical purposes if not safety purposes, as you are going to take, let's see  . . .
 2,658 miles x 2640 average steps per mile = ~7,000,000 steps!   Odds are
that you will step on something or somewhere along the way that you  wished you
didn't.

Do I carry a snake bite kit? No.  I do carry a pretty good first aid  kit
that includes many things that could help to alleviate the common problems
associated with a snake bite; antibiotics, alcohol wipes, anti-inflamatories,  etc.

What do I fear most on a PCT hike?  That my determination and drive is  not
what it once was when I was younger.  Snakes?  Nope.   Lightning? Nope.  Cars?
Yep.  Sprained ankles?  Yep.   Bears? Nope.  Mountain Lions? Nope.  Death?
Nope.  Not  getting to hike the PCT again before I die?  Yep.

I agree with you whole heartedly that everyone should be well  prepared.

Greg

In a message dated 3/19/2005 12:23:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,