[pct-l] Cannisters and Bears- Backapackers Cache

Dear Garcia Machine folks:
I've copied below part of a post by a hiker to the pct-l mail list.  The
topic of bear canisters is a perennial one.  There are literally several
hundred posts each year, almost all of them expressing dismay and concern
about weight of canisters.  That's understandable, since folks hiking long
distances have a fetish about pack weight.

Before someone else does so, I suggest that the Garcia Machine company
seriously pursue producing the present canister design using different
materials to significantly reduce weight.  The design could be produced in
carbon fiber and epoxy resin at possibly less than a pound.  Construction of
sailboards (windsurfing boards) typically use carbon and epoxy, and are very
light.  I have ten-year old board that has 105 liters of volume which weighs
less than 15 pounds.  It's construction is frp (carbon fiber, ceramic fiber,
epoxy resin) over a foam core, and with ABS over the frp.  As demonstration
of toughnes, a salesman hit it with a carptenter's hammer several times,
really hard hits.  There was no visible effect then, and there isn't now,
ten years and lots of use later.

Garcia Machine could certainly continue to produce the canister in ABS, and
produce a premium higher cost, lightweight, frp version.  If that were to be
done, I believe that after due considereation of  cost versus weight
tradeoff for material in the lid that the premium canister might very well
use the ABS used in the current canister.

Personally I think the current design is fine in many respects.  Competitors
state that the Backpackers Cache isn't waterproof.  That hasn't concerned
me; I set it overnight upside-down, on duff and in brush that can keep it
upside-down.  I haven't yet faced a swimming ford; I suppose I'd apply duct
tape if faced with one.  Garcia folks are welcome to e-mail me for
discussion.

Regards, from a fellow Califonian