[pct-l] Cannisters and Bears

Bears can smell the food long before they can see it. I saws the clear
canister tested by Fisher. In spite of hours of effort by the bear, the
canister survived with only a few teeth marks and a lot of scratches.
Manufacturing problems with the first BearVault led to a second, and I've
heard of no failures with that model.

Bears are smart, which is why they recognize ice chests, even if covered
neatly with a blanket, as a food source. They likewise recognize bear cans,
whether black, yellow, or clear, as something that contains food. Actually,
they can smell it long before they see the canister. They learn they cannot
get it and go on to more reliable sources. The problem with cars is they are
not bear resistant.

As for cheap titanium bear cans from overseas, with a thin titanium cup
going for $30, what would a thicker bear can cost? There's a reason the
Bearikade costs what it does.

AsABat