[pct-l] Energy Bars

Hi Dave

Thought I posted to the list but probably sent it to
Carl?s personal email by mistake.

The only real problem with a diet of energy bars is
that I cannot digest dairy products and the bars which
have big protein numbers use whey and other dairy to
get there.

Other than that, there are actually more choices than
can be described in an informal e-mail: There are a
couple of dozen companies making energy bars, and
sometimes a dozen or more varieties of each companies
brand.

For breakfast I like to eat a Luna Chai Tea bar which
has caffeine powered green tea in it. On occasion a
Cappuccino Power Bar tastes good, but again, there is
too much dairy in it for me to use on a regular basis.

During the rest of the day my favorites are most
varieties of the Cliff and Luna brand. The Nature
Valley brand Oats ?N Honey. The Odwalla Bar brand
Superfood, Any of the Bumble Bar varieties. And
natures finest energy bar, which are dates.

On average, energy bars weigh 2 ounces and deliver
about 200 calories. These are very nutritionally rich
and complex calories so cannot be directly compared to
the empty calories of candy bars or the semi empty
calories of instant potatoes or individually packaged
oatmeal or artificially fortified noodles and
synthetic flavorings found in mac-n-cheese and Raman.

Still, it is impossible to carry all of the calories
your body needs on the trail. I figure on 1800
calories a day which comes out to about 8 or 9 bars.
The general rule is to just ignore the hunger pains
until you get to town, then eat like the starving wolf
that you are.
In addition to energy bars, I carry several
nutritional supplements: Salt in the little packets
found at fast food restaurants, liquid vitamin B-12
for the athletic endurance needed to climb hills,
Vitamin E to help the blood system better absorb
oxygen, a non- ascorbic acid, vitamin C product called
Emer?gen-C (up to 4 packets a day), an electrolyte
replacement powder called Gookinaid Hydralyte (use at
half strength) and finally, Bayer aspirin to ease my
aches and pains at night then Excedrin aspirin (which
has caffeine in it) to ease my aches and pains in the
morning.

Energy bars are available at almost all big grocery
and drug stores. Even the small stores along the trail
have some of the more popular brands. The most
interesting and diverse source of energy bars is at
health food stores.

Chance
PCT ?03 & ?04