[pct-l] Flying from Vancouver to So. Cal

Even though I got lucky and no problems using just a
driver's license, I think it could have caused more
problems if I had used a passport.

Long before 9/11, I entered the U.S. from Mexico after
visting all the countries in Central America and some
in South America.  Without thinking, I gave him my
passport, which was not required, instead of my
driver's license.  Once he checked it out he said
"You've been to some questionable places.  Please step
over there and empty your pack."  I asked, "Which
places?".  He replied, "All of them." They checked
everything in my pack very carefully.  It definitely
slowed down the crossing.

So while using a passport to reenter the U.S. may be
the easiest thing to do for most people, if you have
any countries known for drugs or people looked upon
with suspicion by the U.S. government, it might be
wiser to stick with just a license and birth
certificate.

Jeff