[pct-l] Re: 1. guidebooks 2. Park bears

Carl Siechert wrote:

>I've heard this stated on this list many times, but what's the source
>of the rumor that long-distance hikers get preferential access to bear
>boxes? There's nothing on the official SEKI Web site
><http://www.nps.gov/seki/snrm/wildlife/food_storage.htm> that hints at
>this. Nor do I recall ever seeing that on a permit or in a ranger
>station or hearing it from a ranger.
>
>More important, those "recreational hikers" have probably never heard
>it either, and telling them that you (as a LD hiker) have dibs on the
>box probably isn't going to be too effective.
>
>So why do we keep repeating it?
>

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:16:29 -0800, Marion Davison <mardav@charter.net> wrote:
>

>>Sequoia is loaded with bear boxes, and the recreational hikers are
>>supposed to use bear cans and leave the boxes for the long distance
>>hikers along the PCT.  I didn't see any boxes north of Woods Creek

Sequoia is making more and more backcountry areas every year into
bear-can mandatory areas.  The recreational hikers (weekend/week-long)
hikers have to show their bear can when they get their permit.  If they
have a bear can, we can hope they aren't camping by the bear boxes or
using the bear boxes.  The thru hikers enter the park and leave the
park  without passing thru a trailhead with a permit kiosk, and they
carry a thru hike permit.  I have had conversations with backcountry
rangers who have told me directly that the bear boxes remain on the PCT
for the convenience of thru hikers, who may not have a can.
It is true there is nothing in the backcountry to enforce the "bear
boxes for thru hikers" recommendation along the PCT.  And I have often
encountered bear boxes that were stuffed to the gunnels.  My llamas take
our bear cans so we can camp far off the trail and avoid yogi.
I perpetuate the rumor because I got it direct from a backcountry
ranger.  When we meet one of these folks we generally pick their brains
for about an hour, trying to keep up with the current trends of thought
in the park.
Then again I often get conflicting info from different rangers.  They
spend a lot of time on their own and often tweak the regulations to fit
the current situation they are faced with.
Don't most thru hikers pass thru Sequoia Kings pretty darn early in the
season, when there isn't much competition from recreational hikers?
llamalady