[pct-l] Re: 1. guidebooks 2. Park bears

I've heard this stated on this list many times, but what's the source
of the rumor that long-distance hikers get preferential access to bear
boxes? There's nothing on the official SEKI Web site
<http://www.nps.gov/seki/snrm/wildlife/food_storage.htm> that hints at
this. Nor do I recall ever seeing that on a permit or in a ranger
station or hearing it from a ranger.

More important, those "recreational hikers" have probably never heard
it either, and telling them that you (as a LD hiker) have dibs on the
box probably isn't going to be too effective.

So why do we keep repeating it?