[pct-l] bear Cans?

(Who)
You have opened the "can of worms". Assuming we don't get
another 50 emails on for and agaist bear cans, the short of
it is...

(Where)
Bear cans are required in several areas: Most of Yosemity,
Parts of Kings Canyon and a few other places in the
Sierras.

(Why)
They became required because a number of instances of bears
getting peoples food, either because the food was not hung
properly, at-all, or even that the bears were able to climb
a tree where the food was properly counter ballences, but
the limb was big enought to get out on.

(What & When) <I am doing>
In any case, it is to keep bears from getting your food.
You will hear lots of pro- and anti- bear opions. Since I
am doing the PCT this year (2005), I am planining on taking
my wild-Ideas bear can from Kennedy Meadow to Echo Lake.
There by meeting everyones bear cans requirements.

(Sales Pitch)
The Wild Ideas bear can is 1LB 11oz. the lightest of its
kind. There are several others out there, but none as
expensive or light :-). Its a little larger than a Garcia
bear can. I can fit 9 days of food in it (I bought the
Weekender). (about 1.125 LB a day for 9 days). It fits
nicely in the Mountain Smith Ghost (2003).

http://wild-ideas.net

-Mountain Goat-