[pct-l] katabatic, adiabatic, and other noteworthy tics

>>>If you descend into the desert from the dry side (east
>>>side in CA) of
mountains, the temperature increases at a rate faster than
it was decreasing
as you climbed the west side. That's why the deserts to the
east of the
Sierra are not only dry (the rainshadow effect) but so damn
hot!<<<

Slightly OT, but www.weather.com now offers 30+ day
forecasts. That's right - a whole month's worth, for every
dang place in the country. Okay, so it's more like the
farmer's almanac beyond the 10th day (or is that the 2nd?).
In fact, after day 14, all they offer are statistical
averages for that calendar date at that locality.

This information is utterly useless for planning purposes,
and is not a forecast in any way. Then again, maybe they
know that, since much of their tv programming seems aimed at
garnering the weather geek quotient from the sum total
viewership.

But the information is very useful for understanding how
weather, and in particular temperature, patterns shift over
the course of days, weeks, and seasons. In most regions of
the country, both high and low average daily temperatures
are now, in early February, just beginning to climb from
their winter minima. Like the hours of daylight as we trend
toward spring, this upward creep in temperature begins
slowly at first, then picks up steam as the sun gains
greater dominance over our hemisphere. Hours of daylight
increase most rapidly toward the vernal equinox, and then
increase more slowly until the summer solstice. Temperatures
follow a similar pattern, but lag behind the gains in
daylight, much the same way the ocean's temperature lags
behind that of the air.

So everyone, on average, is currently gaining heat as well
as light. But some areas are gaining heat much more quickly
than others. These tend to be the regions with the greatest
differential between winter average and summer average
temperatures, especially where the length of time between
these extents are the shortest.

Take a gander at Tucson, Arizona for example, my old home
town. Currently, average daily high temps are climbing by
about 1 degree per week. However, in a few weeks from now,
they begin to gain 1 degree every 5 days. Then a week later,
every 4 days. By mid April, the dry desert air, minimal
ground cover, and strong unfiltered sunlight allows that air
to climb 1 degree every 3 days. I'm not sure what happens
next, as WC "calendar" doesn't progress beyond this point
yet. However, having lived there, I believe every bit of it.
Whereas the northeast, my current locale, hails March "in
like a lion, out like a lamb," it seems the Sonoran desert's
seasonal adage best applies to the month of April. "In like
a lamb. Out like a well-done goat."

The PCT is a "mountain trail" that happens to descend into
the desert at various places. Springtime temperature
differentials between the two regions can be amazingly
pronounced. A thru-hiker might prefer to hike the desert
when it's cool, if not for all the snow still up high. Or
hike up high without a trace of snow, if not for the
sweltering conditions down below.

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net