[BULK] - RE: [pct-l] Campo to Morena Day Hike (was 16+ mi.drystretches)

>I think katabatic refers to strong, cold winds which occur
>in polar regions,
> especially over ice caps. Antarctic explorers had to deal
> with them
> constantly.

Katabatic has nothing to do with acrobatic mountain lions.
It's simply the colder and thus heavier air that sinks into
low lying areas, most commonly in the evening and overnight
hours when heat radiates away from the earth at a faster
rate than it is absorbed. It is not a
geographically-specific phenomenon, although it tends to
occur most noticeably in mountainous areas where the
lower-lying drainages are natural conduits for the cold air
from the heights. Katabatic air acts like a mini-river that,
in fact, often "flows" just above the actual rivers. Or
creeks. Climb away from the creeks before selecting a
campsite, even as little as 10 or 20 feet above them, and
avoid much of the katabatic cooling effect. Sleep warmer.

Now who wants to explain "adiabatic"?

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net