[pct-l] RE: GG VaporTrail vs ULA P1

Hi Ann,

Just wanted to make sure you knew about the P-1 reviews at
http://www.BackpackGearTest.org .  I was one of the testers and really liked
the pack.  But, I also found that I couldn't carry enough weight in the pack
to consider using the pack for a PCT thruhike.  I needed something with a
bit more support and when asked, I usually recommend people check out the
P-2.

But, I suspect my own personal limitations came into play and someone with a
stronger upper body might not feel the same way I do about the pack.  If I
recall correctly, the P-1 was built by Brian precisely for  PCT thruhike.

>From what I remember, most people are pretty comfortable with the pack up to
25 pounds and can carry more if necessary.  For me, I ws only comfortable up
to 20 pounds and could carry perhaps up to 25 if necessary.

Needless to say, while I still love having the pack for shorter trips or
trips where I know I won't have to carry significant water weight, I didn't
use it on the PCT.

Best of luck with your decision - and your hike,
Mara

P.S.  I used a Kelty Vapor (aka Cloud) and had no problems with it save the
slipping straps that seem enherent to gros grain ribbon.  If you can find a
used one or a Kelty Flight, that might be a good option, too.  I would NOT
pay full price for one of the Kelty Spectra packs.  -MF

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor