[pct-l] Homemade down sleeping bag/quilt--and now water!

In a message dated 2/2/2005 4:12:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
MedusaJ@aol.com writes:

This is  a great idea!  We had a similar idea, mainly to pirate from our
existing down jackets, or to buy down comforters from a department store,
where
they were on sale for $80, but the Goodwill thing had not occurred  to me.
Is the
quality of down high enough?  Or do you know  yet?  I mean, I'm sure two
pounds of Goodwill down won't equal two  pounds of $180 thru-hiker.com down,
but
does it work to keep you  warm?  Let us know how it goes

You can find items that have, to all appearances, never been used.   The best
seems to be smaller jackets that I think have probably been outgrown by
someone.  My only advice would be to avoid items whose ingredients are  listed as
down and feathers, but only because I find that those tiny feathers  are a bit
hard to work with, and there's enough pure down out there that you  shouldn't
have to bother.

I have a book somewhere, it appears somewhere I can't find now, that talks
about the natural breakdown of down.  I can't give you the source, but as I
recall your talking about some pretty rugged use before this becomes an issue,
improper washing and drying being the greatest threats

And as to where the best down comes from, or the superiority of mediocre
goose down versus good duck down...these require no discussion because the
answers are as obvious as the use and usefulness of bear canisters, a subject  so
trivial it allows for no disagreements.