[pct-l] RE: PCT Maps.

Well, Depending on what type of info you want to get from a map would
determine what type of map you want  ;)

I know- smart ass answer...

But, there's a bit of sense in it. Have you SEEN the vast array of maps
available JUST from USGS? It's mind boggling!

But for topographical, water, trail, structure and misc. info, I use the
USGS 7.5' Topo maps. For California maps, you can download these for
free at http://casil.ucdavis.edu/mapsurfer/ this will get you other
scaled tots as well, but I by-pass these to zoom into the 7.5' maps.

The only downside to 7.5' maps is that, on a 40 mile PCT hike, you'll go
through an average of four maps. Not a big concern if your only out for
a weekend, but for a thru hiker, the weight of so many maps is
prohibitive. Paper weighs a lot.

Also- if you REALLY want to know about the area your hiking through,
find as many guide books you can and read up on the area. Even a simple
web search will surface little known history and flora/fauna info that
can enhance any hike! Or, better yet, try to track down people who are
intimate with an area.

For example: If you wanted to know about the San Felipe Hills, Charlie
Jones and Bill "AsABat" Jefferies can tell you stuff that you won't find
in any guide book! Wanna know about the trail from Warner Springs to
Anza? Erik "Gadget" Yakel's your man.

For your hike, I'd suggest acquiring all the 7.5' maps of the PCT and
study them. Note up a larger scale map with any interesting info you
want to carry with you. I've used DeLome map software to get a feel for
my hikes. It can generate really neat 3D views, and annotates better
than other software. For the most accurate distances and critical trail
info, the WP data book (the new edition just came out!) is the absolute
authority (mapping software is notorious for mis-calculating distances).
THEN, I add info from Yogi's guidebook (really a must have for any PCT
hiker. For so much info, from such a great person, at such an incredible
price, there's NO reason not to buy Yogi's book. THEN, read the many
trail journals for the little gems of info that only get discovered by
the folks who hike the PCT. The last step is to field questions to the
PCT-L. There's where you'll get the personal accounts and even further
direction for where to get additional info!

Informational overload? I hope so! One of the greatest things about the
PCT is the shared passion for a HUGE number of people who have personal,
in-depth knowledge of this trail and are enthusiastic about sharing it!

Good Luck!

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m