[BULK] - Re: [pct-l] Pack weight to body weight ratio...

Just for reference, I weighed about 200 lbs. when I started and am 6'9", so
very lean and was in good condition at 20 years old.  My base weight in Sth
Calif with wooden ice axe, two man tent, Jan Sport external frame pack, first
edition polarguard mummy 15 degree bag, 1.5 pound double burner propane cartridge
stove, weighed in at 45 to 50 pounds without food or water.  Fully loaded,
intending to get to Big Bear without any serious resupply (~230 miles in 1977)
weight was at 65 pounds to start at the border with a quart of water.

Thus my pack weight was about a quarter plus of my body weight.  The soreness
in my shoulders and adjustment in mid body muscles probably took two weeks,
then I had almost no problems carrying this and more in the Sierras.

By the time I hit Nth Calif., my body weight had dropped to around 185 (thus
the old trail name that Hacker gave me of Great Albino Zulu Warrior) and pack
weight hadn't changed much.  Thus pack to body weight was up to 1: 3.

Now, I'm still 6'9", weigh about 235 lbs. and have my base pack weight down
to around 15 pounds!  Thus I have my pack to body ratio down to 1:15.7!

I'm carrying more weight on my body, and must carry much less in the pack in
order to make the pace and miles that I still want to do.  I imagine another
thru-hike would bring my body weight down another 15 or 20 pounds.

Different body types will certainly require a different pack to body ratio
for comfort.  YMMV, however, I have clearly bought into the ultra-light concept
of going the very lightest you can with the comfort and hiking style that you
want, regardless of body weight.

I miss the trail life and just ache for the opportunity in my life again.  In
just three days of hiking this summer my trail legs kicked back in and
screamed at me to keep going.

Eating well, maintaining myself, waiting, waiting.

Greg

 "Of one thing I am certain, the transformation I yearn for is incomplete. I
do not know whether I am any closer to enlightenment - I do not really expect
to acheive it - but I know that the attempt is worth the effort."
                               Oliver Statler, in Japanese Pilgrimage