[pct-l] JMT Permit Question

It's even easier (and less risky) than that (assuming you're planning to be
sobo): Go to www.yosemite.org/visitor/wild.html

You can apply for a permit by phone or by email, up to 24 weeks in advance,
starting Jan 4, '05. You can give them several start dates; they send you back
confirmation (not the actual permit). When you get to Yosemite (preferably the
day before you start hiking), go to the Yosemite Valley Wilderness center (next
to the post office, in the valley) and pick up the permit (for the next day).
That allows you to camp (free) in the backpacker's camp that night. What's more,
you're very close to the start of the trail at Happy Isles so you can get an
early start the next morning.

The permit is good for the entire trail, even though you are going through
multiple wildernesses/National Parks. It includes permission to climb Whitney.
It's basically a one-stop shop

Oh, yes, I did my request exactly 24 weeks to the day before I wanted to hike. I
recommend doing that since the quotas are by trailhead (Happy Isles) not where
you're actually going--and Happy Isles is a popular trailhead and August is a
popular time of year.