[pct-l] animal ranches along the PCT

Tippy Hedren's "Shambala" in Acton is a rescue for big cats.  She keeps them from being put down.  It's unbelievable that in this day and age, people get big cats when they're kittens and try to keep them as pets.  These unscrupulous people have the cats declawed, and in some instances, defanged.  When they get too big to handle, they give them up.  Zoos don't need them (there's no shortage or need, in fact, there's a glut of these animals), and they cannot be rehabed to the wild.  The only alternative is euthanizing them, or rescues like Shambala and the Wildlife Waystation (which takes in all kinds of quasi-domesticated wild animals in similar circumstances), supported by private donations and thousands of volunteer hours.   So, in some cases, the rescues are the last resort for the animals, not the root problem.  I'd like to line up the people who declaw and defang these creatures and do the same thing to them, and that's putting it mildly.

-=Donna Saufley=-

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Moorehead <jeffmoorehead1@cox.net>
Sent: Oct 26, 2004 7:29 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] animal ranches along the PCT

What do these ranches do with these animals? I hope they're at least humane
institutions. I can imagine the scare one would get from hearing the roar of
a lion at night having no idea that a wild animal ranch adjoins the PCT.

 Just think of the debates that would ensue if these were actually wild
lions. Yep... "Lion cannisters". These impenetrable havens would actually
also have to be your tent AND your backpack. Thank god we're not trekking
through the Serengetti and also that the sabre tooths went extinct.