[pct-l] RE: Water Usage

This is a good point. When I said that I measured at 1 quart/10 miles. It was asuming I had already consumed H20 in the morning, say a quart, and that there was water at the end of the day, so since everybody is giving what they used...

I guessed that I used 1 quart/10 miles (if elevation not greater than 1000' per 10 miles, and not a hot day)

Add another Pint per 1000' feet. Add a yet unknown amount of water if hot weather.
Since I don't know lets say I need double water at 100F. (that should be about fair.)

If Water is not availible at the end of the days hike add in 1 quart for dinner and 1 quart for water at night. And then don't forget to add water for next days hike since water was not present. That should be enough to cover the bases.

So lets run a cenero. Its 90F and I need to go 20 miles. But it is 3000' elevation climb and there is no water at the destination. But 10 miles further there is water. So.....

2 quarts for the first 20 miles.
1 quart because it is 90F
1 quarts because of the 2000' climb (the first 1000 feet was already accounted for.)
1 quart for dinner.
1 quart for drinking water that night
1 quart for breakfast
1 quart for the next 10 miles the next day....
-------
8  quarts......Hm, lot of water. Maybe I should walk the whole thing at once.

2 quarts for the first 20 miles.
1 quart because it is 90F
1 quarts because of the 2000' climb (the first 1000 feet was already accounted for.)

1 quart for the last 10 miles (its no longer hot, because it is late in the day)....
-----
5 quarts. (Hm, lot better scenero)
(because I;m not crazy, carry an extra pint of Water, because coming in dry is not smart)
5.5 Quarts.....

Warning:
Hiking without water can be hazerders to your health. This water scenero is not a recomendation, it is solely for discution and your body may beg to differ with me on how much it needs. Walking with a dry skinned person may be hazerdus to your health. Consult a Thru-Hiker to see what the best water resupply strategy is for you. Water Void where prohibited; Usually in the middle of desserts. See Water report for recent infomation on where water Voids exsist... and have a great hike.

-Mountain Goat-

Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Unstated in all of these postings is how dehydrated people are willing to be at
the end of the day. My personal preference is to not feel thirsty at all when I
get to camp, having found that it takes half the night (or more) to rehydrate
myself if I don't drink adequately during the day. I'm also inclined to not eat
properly if I'm really thirsty at dinner time.

If a person were willing to tolerate spending all night rehydrating (which,
depending on water source locations may be required at times) or rehydrates very
quickly (lucky them), obviously they could get by with less water during the
hiking phase of the day. Seems to me that before we can truly understand what's
being described, we need to know what the parameters are.