[pct-l] Lodge-to-Lodge

Thanks, Wayne, you brought back an interesting memory,

In July of '99 I was PCT-SoBo and had just crossed Barlow Pass when I ran
into a bunch of these people, or more accurately, they nearly ran into me.
First, I saw a runner approach from the south.  Based upon the facts that:
1) he was not being chased by a bear or a swarm of bees, and, 2) he had a
number attached to his shirt, I determined there was a race on.  Eventually
I met others, and when I got south of the "fun run" turnaround there were
more still.  It was kind of good being on the trail that day because the
race people at the crossroads water points shared with me as well.  Before I
got to Timothy the same runner I met at the pass overtook me.  The only
problem was that I wished I had had a rear-view mirror that day.

Being somewhat caught-up in the event, I detoured over to the old Ranger
Station to see what was going on.  That first guy that I met had won, as I
recall, in slightly over 7 hours.  I don't know if that is a good time, but
I was impressed by anyone who could average 7 mph for 7 hours on the trail.
On the other hand, maybe he was impressed that while he was done, I
continued on to the Cal/Or border.

I talked with the winner for a while.  He was an active-duty soldier who had
been visiting Ft. Lewis to do some kind of physical condition testing of
members to the 75th Ranger Regiment stationed there.  He took a couple of
days leave to participate in the race.  I remember he said he was somewhat
disappointed in the physical condition of the Rangers.  Coming from him I
will accept that observation because I really would not expect the whole
regiment to be made up of ultra-marathoners.

I have met runners on the Timberline trail but I never know their plans.  I
do Timberline in 1.5-2 days which is about all my poor, old body will take.
I do not think a 1-day trip is in my future unless I get in better shape and
do it in 18-20 hours.  I've concluded that for me, trails are for hiking and
roads are for driving.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye