[pct-l] Water Useage

>>When it's cool (30-60F) then 1L lasts me 7-8 miles
>>When it's moderate-warm 1L gets me around 5 miles
>>When it's over 80F and in the sun I found that I use
>>about 1L every three miles

That's about the best 'rule of thumb' summary I've
seen to date for water usage on the PCT. Many of the
people I hiked with on the PCT seemed to have roughly
that water usage as well.

As with another poster, I think in terms of liters per
mile. Five LPM was my baseline on the PCT and it
seemed to work well. FWIW, use a 3L Nalgene cantene. I
like the wide mouth opening vs a platy's small mouth.
It is 3oz, so not quite as light as a platy, but the
larger mouth is a trade off that is worth it for me.
The Nalgene also appears to be a bit more durable.

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com