[pct-l] RE: What do use to carry your 2 gallons per day of water

Ken Powers wrote:

> We try to hike at least 20 mile days. We filled bottles with 6 liters of
> water and drank an unknown amount - probably less than a liter. I'll use 7
> liters for 20 miles for 2 people, or  5.7 miles per person per liter. That
> converts to 1.5 gallons per person per day.

This is pretty close to my experience.  Not counting breakfast (16oz)
and dinner (24oz) I have found I use water at the following rates:

When it's cool (30-60F) then 1L lasts me 7-8 miles
When it's moderate-warm 1L gets me around 5 miles
When it's over 80F and in the sun I found that I use about 1L every three miles

--Mark