  From: Bighummel@aol.com [mailto:Bighummel@aol.com]
  Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 12:36 PM
  To: joph@piedmontbsa.org; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Subject: Re: [pct-l] Thanks and follow-up question on Hi 49 exit

  We didn't use bear canisters in this area as 1) it isn't required, and 2)
it is not considered a bad bear area, and 3) the hunters were out hunting
deer and I think their shots probably scare the bears away from encounters
with humans.  Another group that hiked the other way in order to make our
transportation easy did carry one large bear canister between four people.
Neither their group nor ours encountered any bears and we didn't even hang
our food.

  Call us irresponsible if you wish.

  Greg