[pct-l] bear canisters from Donner to 49

No, that area bear canisters are not required and we have never encountered a bear, not to say they aren't out there.  We always do hand our food though.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: JoPH
  To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 10:58 AM
  Subject: [pct-l] Thanks and follow-up question on Hi 49 exit

  Many thanks to all of you who so graciously responded to my request for info
  on an exit point at Highway 49 near Sierra City. I now feel sure our friends
  will find us! Also for all the additional info.

  But with all the talk about bear canisters-- do you recommend we use one for
  this section (80 to 49-Donner to sierra City). We are veteran bear canister
  users, being survivors of 29 bear attacks in the days before they were
  required (no lost food yet, touch wood), but for reasons already stated
  would prefer not use one if not needed-- anyone have thoughts on this
  stretch of the trail? In fact, where do people think it's ok to stop using
  one? And just for the record, we have had no encounters with bears in the
  bear habituated areas of the Sierra Nevada in the several years that we have
  been using a bear canister.