[pct-l] psychology question

I don't think anyone is 100% ready for the PCT. It will challenge and
reward you in ways you can not imagine and then you will stop for
lunch. By the time you get to  Kennedy Meadows you will be in shape
that you never thought possible.

As it turned out on my hike, I caught an upper respitory bug right
where you headed cross country at the bridge. I did not have cold meds
with me and hiked to the top of Whitney and on to Independence out
Kearsarge pass while hardly being able to breath.

Sitting here now, I can't imagine deciding to go and do that. I was
HARD, and worthwhile, and HARD. I cried several times a day, and then
I kept going.

Once you are on your journey it is your journey. I also suffered
something that I can only describe as trail depression the rest of the
way to Tahoe. Some days I was sure I was going off trail. But then I
would go on. And I was every day after glad that I did. Every day I
kept going was a day I would have missed and I treasured them all for
a different reason.

The community hiking around me was really supportive, and somewhere
deep down the initial spark that made me want to start in Campo was
still burning. Once I reached the top of a climb, got a short rest, an
extra treat of food or trail magic and I was on an adventure again!

I made it most of the way across Washington when, in a twist of fate
and ankle, I got a sprain that ended my trip. I tried to recouperate
for 2 weeks but my body was telling me that I was done. I realized
that for me I reached the goal in campo with my first step. I shed the
constraints of society, followed my dream and went for it. The rest
was my journey and to this day I discover the ways in which it changed
me.

The other thing that I learned is that "the trail will provide". Just
when you need something good to happen, it will.

It is a series of small challenges and victories. you don't think of
it as hiking to Canada. You are just hiking to the next town, the next
pass, the next whatever. That is manageble in your head. One day on
the trail you will look at a map and say - I have walked here already?
That seems impossible. It's a great feeling.

There is no shame in going a month and deciding that it is not right
for you. Or a week, or three months. It's your journey - get out of it
what you want. Just get out there and try.

Hike Your Own Hike

The One
PCT 2003