[pct-l] Tarantulas in the Sierra

A previous e-mail questioned the existence of tarantulas in the Sierra. This sent me to google to find how high they can live, but alas I didn't find the answer. What I am certain of though is that tarantulas are common in the Sierra foothills to at least 4,000 feet. While common, they are seldom seen because they are nocturnal and during the day burrow in the ground. The one exception to their elusiveness is in September when male tarantulas venture out in search of females. One September day while driving on a Sierra back road I saw what seemed to be hundreds of tarantulas over 30 miles. On the other hand, I've hiked all over the foot hills and I've never seen any (although their holes are common). In other words, I can't attest that the hiker saw a tarantula at high altitude, but it was the only time of the year you would find one.