[pct-l] Scary bear story & not hanging food

At 02:05 PM 7/20/04, dude wrote:
>WE did cause the problem, but the tourists I saw 2 weeks ago at
>Yosemite trying to feed a candy bar to a bear sure don't help much.

My feeling on this has always been that thru-hikers could never be more
than a VERY SMALL portion of this problem, simply because there are very
few thru hikers. Also most thru hikers are thru the problem areas before
the Bears move back in for the season, so the PCT thru hiker is basically a
nil problem

I always found it amusing when Tom Reynolds would rant about thru hikers
habituating the bears, when there are probably only 200 thru hikers each
YEAR that ever make it to the Sierra, when there are probably 2000
weekenders EVERY WEEKEND.

All IMHO.