[pct-l] Re: Trail Libations

Good Evening,

I feel like a pretty cheap date compared to you wine and premium-beer
aficionados.  The best, and most appreciated beverage that comes to my mind
was enjoyed a few years ago when I hiked, off-trail, from the Snake River to
the top of the country on the Oregon side of Hell's Canyon.  The climb was
much more of a chore than I anticipated (bad judgment), away from the river
it was hotter than I anticipated (bad judgment), I had not carried
sufficient water (bad judgment), and I over-estimated the likelihood of
finding water on the way (more bad judgment).  Anyway, near the top I did
see a patch of grass that appeared fresher and greener than the
surroundings, and upon investigation I saw a small patch of ground in the
middle was a bit moist.  In that patch I found a very small accumulation of
water in an elk hoof print.
Years ago, before I had heard of all the bad bugs that await, I drank such
wild-water without filtration or other treatment, but now I've gone modern.
After a bit of improvement to the hoof print I could carefully hold the tip
of the filter pump suction hose in the water away from the mud with one
hand; work the pump plunger with the other hand, and suck on the pump outlet
at the same time.  It seemed to take forever, and it was warm, but it was
wonderful . nothing better!

Steel-Eye