[pct-l] Camping in Campo?

When I went through the area on May 9 of 03, there was a clutch of about 4
hikers camped at Hauser Creek, so you might consider this.  I also came
across another 3-4 people camped about 3-5 miles from the border at some
creek crossing.  So, there are people out there camping, even though
some recommend against this.  If I were in your shoes, I'd hike till 7 or
8 and find a hidden camping spot.  Or, try to find a shuttle in the early
AM.  There have been some posts about this recently, but perhaps someone
will chime in.

I wouldn't consider yourself a late starter.  May 14 is a pretty good time
to start.  You can cover SoCal in a month, or maybe 35 days, putting you
at Kennedy Meadows and the Sierra in mid-late June, where you'll have
better snow conditions than those who try June 1.  I wouldn't rely too
much on caches, but most of the ones that I saw were full.  The only
exception was the one north of I-15, where the TrailRatz hadn't been out
in a week (they seem to restock once a week there) and it was dry.

Suge

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, David Weissner wrote:

> Is there any camping near/in Campo? With the first day
> a solid 20 miles, I was thinking of taking the
> afternoon bus from SD and camping in or near Campo.
> Doesn't appear that doing a half day out of Campo is
> an option. Any suggestions?
>
> Also while I'm here, leaving on May 14th, about 3
> weeks after everyone else. Besides assuming that all
> the caches and seasonal water is dry, any other advice
> for a late starter?

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University