[pct-l] (no subject)

You'll want waterproof rain gear, but it doesn't have to be heavy.  Check
out Propore/RainShield stuff, it's delicate, but there's little bushwacking
on the PCT. Since it's delicate, you'll only want to wear it when you need
it, which means a windbreaker too.

Breathable running shoes.  Gortex shoes are a bad idea and won't help much
toward keeping your feet dry. In the Sierra, breathable running shows will
get wet, then dry. Over and over.

You will definitely want bug protection. I use an A-16 bug bivy.  It pops
open and creates a little bug-proof enclosure over my head and chest. You
can get by with less (headnet), but I liked to be able to journal without
being eaten alive.

John B., the hiker formerly known as Cupcake

---

>Hi all,

>   I have a few questions to throw out.  I'm going to be hiking from about
Agua Dulce to the Oregon >border next summer (darn college got in the middle
of a thru-hike) and I am wondering about appropriate >apparel for that
section.  My two main questions are: 1) Do you think a raincoat is necessary
or could >I get by with just a windbreaker? 2)I plan on hiking in running
shoes for most of the time, but would >you recommend hiking boots for the
extra-snowy/mountainy sections?  i.e. the high sierra?

>If not boots, how about gore-tex trail runners to avoid wet feet?  I'd
prefer to just hike in running >shoes for cost and wieght reasons, but if
people have found that uncomfortable, I will think about >bringing drier
sturdier shoes.

>Another question regards shelter.  I am planning on bringing just a
tarp-tent.  Do you think I should >bring bug netting for it for the sections
I am doing?  Also, I would like to try my hand at making my >own tarp-tent.
Does anyone have suggestions as to where to find a good design and where to
get >materials?  Thanks a million! Happy Trails :) Becky Selling