[pct-l] Re: Bears in the Cal Sierra -- What's Going On

This is a confusing situation.  I know that canisters
are mandatory in certain areas on the Inyo National
Forest.  In Yosemite the regulations state "proper
food storage required" which includes the
counterbalance method.  However, if you are above tree
line and you can't counterbalance your food bag, then
the only legal "proper food storage" method is a bear
canister. So I guess that makes their use mandatory in
certain areas.  I got this information from park's
Wildlife Biologist, who runs the bear management
program.  (His office is next door to mine.)  The
rangers encourage the use of canisters because that is
the method that is the most effective in Yosemite.  I
also spoke with the Wilderness program manager, who
says that they don't worry too much about thru-hikers,
since they come through early in the season before the
bears are very active, and that they were experienced
wilderness users and not considered a problem.(You
should see some of the "inexperienced" wilderness
users we get here - scary!)
I agree with Tom's friend; I use a canister because it
saves a lot of hassle.

Katy in Yosemite