[pct-l] Re: Bears in the Cal Sierra -- What's Going On

I was going north to Sonora Pass when I ran across three Rangers Two were
students Rangers and one a full time Ranger. They talked to us in a very
casual way. They then asked for our permit. They then asked if we had a bear
canister which I did. I then asked then if they had one. All three did not
have a canister although they were on a multi-day outing.

They all said it was not required. They also said that the Ranger Station at
Tuolumne Meadows were I was talked into renting one receives a commission on
rentals.

lonetrail