[pct-l] Bears in the Cal Sierra -- What's Going On.

In a message dated 10/28/02 8:43:51 PM, reynolds@ilan.com writes:

<< The rules at that campground is that one must

ALWAYS be able to grab your food while cooking. If you are EVEN ONE STEP

AWAY from your food a bear may try for it and create a dangerous situation. >>

Sounds like my lunch today. About 20 crows surrounded the table I was eating
at and just stared at me. (yes, it was outdoors) When I left for a second to
throw away my trash, they immediately swarmed over the table. Had no idea the
bears were getting that bad in Yosemite! Did the car camp raccoons finally
figure out how to slash tires to prevent escape?
  So when the bear gets the food that WASN'T in the canister, is it okay to
THROW the canister, empty or otherwise, at the bear or is there some fine
print that says no