[pct-l] Failed Bear Hang

In a message dated 10/27/02 7:51:37 AM, john@frozenpoodle.com writes:

<< My only PCT rock bear hang failed because of suspension: Human error, not

bear success.  I had 10 days worth of food, 4 days of it in a canister.   >>

So this is to be the pattern caused by regulations requiring bear canisters
in the Sierras? Not much of a fix. Looks like full pack/camp searches are the
only way to ensure enforcement -- and how about odorless toothpaste? There's
no real reason for peppermint or whatever artificial flavor Crest uses to
make their product more palatable. Its lure could make a good bear go bad.
So, I think there's still room for a regulation on the permit tag to require
the use of baking soda (odor free) for brushing and all cleaning.
 And now, thanks to unabashed long distance hikers like Frozen Poodle here,
who swear under oath that they will cram 50,000 calories worth of food into
one bear canister (+toiletries) and then freely admit that they don't,
they'll have to up the ante and require 1 canister for every four days.
Sorry, John, you'll now need three for your 10 day hike (rent 3 for the price
of 2)?