[pct-l] Failed Bear Hang

>did the hang fail because the bear didn't, or
>was it more of a matter of the suspension failing?

Eckert (again)

I should have added more detail, but it was the wrong topic at the time.
Rock bear hangs are, as you suggested, hanging food over a rock.  Keep the
food so that the bear can't get it from below or side, and put the line at
the top in a crack or other place that a paw can't get into.
My only PCT rock bear hang failed because of suspension: Human error, not
bear success.  I had 10 days worth of food, 4 days of it in a canister.  A
knot failed on the hang.  It crashed down and the silnylon bag got a little
shredded in the fall.  I restored the hang successfully, and the bag was
usable for the rest of the trip with a little duct tape.

To my knowledge, I never had a bear after my food, whether it was in a bear
hang, in a canister, or in a critter hang (just enough to keep it away from
small rodents-far easier than a bear hang.)

John B./Cupcake

http://www.cupcakewalk.com