[pct-l] Snow pack

I talked to Mono Hot Springs today [Mono Hot Springs is on Bear Creek south
of VVR and North of Muir Trail Ranch], Kaiser Pass received two feet of
snow. While they expect this to melt off quickly, it will certainly delay
the melt by a week.

Accordingly, and based on Flyin Brian's descriptions of last year, I believe
that this year is two weeks behind last year. Brian crossed the Sierra the
last week of May and reported extensive post-holing and serious stream
crossings. That is what I believe one should expect crossing the Sierra the
second week of June in 2002.

Now Brian reports that he made it and Greg, with the perspective of a
thruhiker, if 25 years ago, would say go for it. From my non-thruhike, arm
chair perspective, however, it is an obviosity to not leave Kennedy Meadows
till June 15.

At Donna's last week I advised Nancy and Monica that they would not be able
to resist the urge to go early if they showed up at KM and should bail at
Walker Pass, spending some time in Kernville, Ridgecrest or Inyokern.

My wife and I plan to meet Nancy and Monica at Kearsarge Pass [Onion Valley]
to help with a resupply. If someone enters too early and wants to bail, that
is a good location and they should walk out with Nancy and Monica.

Anyone in contact with a thruhiker, this is my advice and my plans. Please
relay it to them and wish them good luck.

Tom Reynolds