[pct-l] Trail Report-Barrel Springs to Hwy 74(Pines-to-Palms Hwy)

Hi all,

  I had a great three-day trip going from Barrel Springs to Hwy 74.

Day 1(3/28)-Cloudy and cold all day-great weather to backpack.  San Ysidro
Creek(good camping) still pretty strong for a small creek.  There was NO
trouble finding my way as the guidebook warns; trail volunteers have done a
great job. In fact, IMHO, I think the guidebook writers should remove the
section on pg 69 and replace it w/ a couple paragraphs about how great a job
these volunteers do.  As it is now, 1/2 of page 69 is a waste of space.  The
creek in Canada Verde is still strong and there is camping in many places in
this beautiful area.  After Warner Springs, you walk thru a private
campground which the guidebook says is closed to the public.  There is  one
of the largest oak trees I have ever seen here, awesome tree.  Agua Caliente
Creek does have water, but not until the trail meets the large campsite at
the end of the dirt road, pg 77.  I don't know how long water will be here,
but it was flowing ok here and up creek where you cross it four times(pg
77-78).  I stayed the nite on Lost Valley Road which is flat and ok for
camping for just a little while before turning rough.  I sometimes wish the
guidebook would say where camping is possible more often.  They mention only
the obvious places.    around 18.7 miles.

Day 2(3/29)-Warmer today w/ no clouds.  I had only a few sprinkles overnite,
but I did see some far away lightning flashes. I left water for myself near
Little Chihuahua Valley Rd and left about a gallon and 1/2 there after I
took what I needed.  The trail is in great shape w/ nice stretches esp. the
climb up to the saddle near Combs Peak(good camping or lunch/rest spot).
I'm a peak bagger, so I had planned to climb it.  It's about 2 miles round
trip and pretty steep.  Right now the trail is cut away pretty good.  Nice
views of the area from the top make the climb worth it if you have the
energy.  From here until Hwy 74, it is pretty much chaparral, chaparral,
chaparral.  That means not much shade, hot and not a lot of change in
scenery.  There were a
few stashes of water already, but not many and you can't really count on
those being there.  Tule Canyon Creek had just a bit of water in it where
the trail crosses it, but, of course, you have only .4 miles to Tule Canyon
Rd and from there it's only .25 miles to the water spigot which is working
great:)))  I camped here for the night w/ some good spots near the spigot.
just under 19 miles.

Day 3(3/30)-I awoke to an earthquake;it felt like someone turned on the
vibrating bed for a couple of seconds-I think it was a 3.3.  Nance Canyon
was sort of nice, but this is hot, desert/chaparral hiking.  Be prepared w/
a lot of water.  I think I drank 4 liters hiking the 15 miles to Hwy 74 and
it was only in the 80's.  Hard to imagine doing that stretch when it's in
the 90's or 100's.  There is no water from Tule Spring until the Tunnel
Spring detour-22.5 miles(there were a few drops in Nance Canyon).  The
guidebook decribes the trail well except for the fact that there have been
some new dirt roads made
(w/ houses soon to follow) just before you begin the ascent of Table Mtn.
This is also the only place I had trouble finding the trail.  When you get
to Table Mtn Truck Trail sign, cross the road and the trail is 20-30 ft left
of the sign. Don't take the faint dirt road right by the sign.  Right now
there is a little pile of rocks showing the way, but that may not stay.  I'm
not sure how the new dirt roads affect the directions out to Terwilliger
Valley, but the directions in the guidebood MAY not be 100% correct now-I'm
not sure.  There are three gallons of water left here by trail angels-I
forget the name-Desert Oasis?  The climb up Table Mtn was hot.  I couldn't
help laughing inside about how the guidebook says this can be an enjoyable
hike on breezy day.  Not enjoyable for my trip-uphill and HOT.  I was chased
by a couple of black dogs toward the top of this segment.  I didn't see the
owner and they didn't chase me-yeah!.  They didn't seem too nice.  I enjoyed
walk along Horse Canyon.  It was a nice levelish stretch before the climb
over Lookout Mtn's shoulder.  After 7 1/2 hrs of walking in the heat, I was
VERY happy to see Hwy 74.  The cafe, a mile from the trail on Hwy 74, is up
and running and if you're there on Sat or Sun, it can actually be busy.  15
miles.

  Overall, a really nice trip w/ great weather. DON'T take a pair of hiking
boots-a total waste. My ankles are jello from years of soccer and I only
twisted an ankle and fell one time-cut up my left leg a bit, but no
problems. I had on 804s.  I saw what looked like wild turkeys around
Warner's and a Kangaroo mouse in the desert hopping along the trail in front
of me for several yards.  I didn't see a human being from Hwy 79 to Hwy 74.

Michael G.

     'The mountains are calling and I must go.'

'The mountains are calling and I must go.'

                                John Muir