[pct-l] Vermilion Valley needs your help

<< I have a dilemma with the bear cannisters....  Since I have
 never had to rent these things on a regular basis I would like the
 hikers input on how they prefer things to go, whats fair, whats not,
 deposits on the cannisters..... How do the other resorts rent these
 things and do you agree with their policies....  I have options that I
 am looking at but I would really like the preferred way to go since
 I am almost required to have these things from the USFS. >>

First, the best of luck to you this year!  You're a "must stop there" spot on
the PCT.  Anyone in the Class of '02 who had other plans, please reconsider.
VVR is a beautiful place with really friendly people, and they feed you good.
 What more could you ask?  (Okay, no, it isn't free.  Gimme a break.)

Re the bear can question:  You should be very concerned about the possible
loss of a large up-front investment.  Do you really have to rent bear cans?
If the USFS requires it, maybe they should provide them.  (Yeah, I know how
far that'll fly.)  I suggest you rent them to the "out-and-back" hikers with
a large deposit that is returned when they return the can.  Or sell them to
those who want them with a markup sufficient to cover your fuss and keep the
sales volume down.  The USFS may require you to offer the cans but they can't
dictate your sales volume.

Thruhikers should be discouraged from renting a bear can at VVR because it's
too complicated to get it back.  Those who want a bear can at VVR should mail
their resupply there, in a bear can of their choice.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are areas of the
PCT both north and south of VVR where bear cans are required.  If that's
true, the demand for other than local hikers should be very small.