[pct-l] Protein Bars

At 05:29 PM 3/31/2002 -0800, JD Schaefer wrote:
>Is that the "Doctor's CarbRite Diet bars" or the "LOW CARB DIET BARS" that
>are $29 for 20 each at http://www.anabolicdiet.com/ans/uni_doctorbar.htm and
>based on the Atkins' diet?

If so, they have Acesulfame, saturated fats and a small amount of partially
hydrogenated palm kernel oil (in the chocolate coating, I assume). I give
them points, though, for correctly labeling alcohol sugars.

I just remembered a few more reasons why I dislike most protein bars:

hydrolyzed proteins - proteins broken into constituent amino acids to
enhance flavor. The chemical breakdown of proteins may result in the
formation of free glutamate that joins with free sodium to form MSG. In
this case, the presence of MSG does not need to be disclosed on labeling.

calcium caseinate - a cheap form of milk protein, usually with enough
lactose to cause nausea with my lactose intolerance. Also a hidden source
of MSG.

alcohol sugars - For most people, these sugars are great. Either they are
not absorbed at all, or are slowly broken down in latter parts of the
intestine (simple sugars are absorbed in the first 18 inches of the
intestine). If you have a wheat sensitivity (celiac disease), you may
suffer a complication of candida overgrowth in your lower intestine,
however everyone has some candida. Candida are parasitic fungi that eat
your food and excrete CO2 - their food of choice is sugar and alcohol
sugars feed candida just fine. Who needs excess gas at elevation? Most
people have enough as is.

terrible taste - I have yet to eat anything sweetened with Acesulfame or
Sucralose able to taste like something I'd want to eat.

I agree, everyone needs protein. But on the trail, I don't think we need
protein with the high protein efficiency ratios of either whey or egg
white. My personal belief is that maligned "incomplete proteins" (soy,
oats, nuts, legumes) will do. However, if you are not getting enough
calories to maintain your body weight plus exertion, that protein bar you
just ate will be used as fuel and inefficient fuel, at that.

My suggestion for protein bars are:

Oat Bars - Each bar has 12.5 grams of protein and all flavors taste better
than either Clif or Odwalla bars; Oat Bars are a tad less sweet. They are
low in saturated fats, sweetened with honey, sugar and vegetable glycerine.
They down side is, they have only around 200 calories per bar.
http://www.nutribomb.com/products/category/protein_bars.html#pure_protein_bars

Bear Valley MealPack bars  - calorie bricks with roughly 17 grams of
protein per bar. Lousy if you have a wheat allergy. They have one wheat
free bar, which tastes, in my opinion, awful.
http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/efoods/bear.html

Clif Bars -  ex. Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch have 12 grams of protein,
though most others have 8-10 grams. They are mainly soy protein.
http://www.clifbar.com/

Kashi GoLean Bars typically have around 13 grams of protein each. They also
have flax oil, an excellent source of essentially fatty acids.
http://www.kashi.com/prodandnutgo.html

Power bars - difficult to eat when cold, neigh impossible to eat with
lactose intolerance, roughly 10 grams of protein per bar. Mostly milk protein.
http://www.powerbar.com/index_static.asp

Odwalla Super Protein Bar - 16 grams of soy protein with a decent taste
http://www.odwalla.com/obar2/obar2.html